Sunday, October 14, 2012

52 Week Challenge - Pink Sugar

This week's theme is pink / breast cancer awareness.
I wanted to try out sugar spun nails (youtube tutorial), so I picked a base colour and two shades of pink and went at it.

039 Pink Sugar 52R

I started off with one coat of Avon Matte Concrete.
For the texture I went with Wet n Wild Lavender (I have no idea why this one is named lavender ... this is lavender, the nail polish is more of a deep pink) and Sally Hansen Pink Blink.

If you don't want to watch the tutorial, all you really have to do to achieve this look is put a few drops of nail polish onto a palette, then stir and pull at it with a toothpick until it is thick enough so that when you dip the toothpick in and pull it out it creates a string - just pull that string over your nail and keep going until you're happy with it.
It does require quite a bit of cleanup - taping around the edges of your nail would probably help.

My nails are very rounded, so it was difficult to place the strings near the edges, but I think it looks funky mostly in the middle of my nail.

I did use a topcoat on this one, but I had to paint it on my nail sideways - it was too thick to cover behind the ridges. I actually liked it way better without the topcoat. Oh well, next time.

Later this week, I'll be doing the Reddit challenge - "Inspired by Reddit"

No comments:

Post a Comment