Sunday, April 29, 2012

52 Weeks of Nails - Cartoon Mani

I had a tough time figuring out what to do for this one.
Cartoon Manicure

Do I go for My Neighbour Totoro? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? She-Ra? Monster High? Hello Kitty?

I decided to go with one that I actually haven't seen much of, but is quite popular: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
I also decided to go outside my comfort zone with my colour choices.

I picked Fluttershy.

Sorry for the very blurry photo of my nails - it was really hard to get a picture. My house is VERY dark (you'll see my carpet in the photo at the bottom of this post), and the polish is SO pale. eep!

009 Cartoon Manicure 52

For the pink, I chose Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Pink Blink - 2 coats on each of my thumbs and pinkies. It's a little bright, but it works. I'm not sure how I feel about the Insta-Dri brushes. The stem is flat, so you can't really get the polish off of it, and it flows down onto the brush. The upside of that is you don't need to re-dip the brush. The downside is you sometimes end up with a bit too much polish. The photo dulled down the pink quite a bit - it's surprisingly bright.

I did one coat of an off-white Zoya polish I bought several years ago, just so I could get a bit of a base going for the yellow.
Then I did 2 thick coats of Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Mellow Yellow. I'm not a big fan of the yellow polish, it's quite hard to get a nice opaque coating.

I topped all my nails off with Sinful Colors in You Just Wait - a sheer pink with a yellow shine. I figured it would tie everything together nicely. I like this one a lot - in some light, there is a yellow shine and in other light it's pink. It's perfect for this manicure.

And, of course, if you're doing a my little pony, you need the "cutie mark," so on my ring fingers, I added 3 pink butterflies - using the Pink Blink again. I used the head of one of those little gold safety pins to do little pink 'X' marks. Then I painted their bodies using Claire's White detail polish, topped off with N.Y.C.  Turquoise Seas (using the pin to dab it on). It's an old colour, but it's nice - sheer shimmery turquoise.

There isn't a lot of contrast in the photo, but in real life, the butterflies are more visible.

Definitely not colours I'd normally wear on their own ... let alone together, but it's very spring-y and cute.



My birthday is on Tuesday, so I went out for dinner with some friends tonight.
One of them spoiled me with a lovely manicure related gift:

birthday 2012

Claire's detail polish in white, hot pink and neon green.
China Glaze Magnetix in You Move Me plus the magnet :)
OPI Cuckoo For This Color
and an OPI Avoplex set with Cuticle Oil to Go, Exfoliating Cuticle Treatment and High Intensity Hand and Nail Cream

I feel so loved ^_^

The detail brushes will really help out for next week's theme - Floral Manicure!

No comments:

Post a Comment